David's Reviews > Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It

Your Memory by Kenneth L. Higbee

Aug 07, 11

Read from April 24 to August 07, 2011 — I own a copy

This book was probably one of the best organized books I've ever read. The book is divided into sections - the first being an introduction of course, the remainder being about each specific memory technique with the final two chapters being devoted toward special cases of memory improvement such as absentmindedness and remembering people's names/faces. The organization of the chapters related to the memory techniques was the most impressive. It'd start with an introduction, then teaching the technique, then how well it works.

Honestly, I feel this book isn't best served as a book you read from start to finish and that's it. Having just done that, I feel I didn't really gain as much as I should have out of this book. Instead, I recommend spending more time on each technique. What I mean by that is not only read the text, but also practice it. Feeling as I do now, I feel I'll reread the phonetic system once again, and work specifically in trying to get this system down, then focus on the others.

The reason why I rated this 4, instead of 5 stars is due to the defensive nature, I felt, from this book. The author made it sound like much of the population of people was against the idea of learning this system in some way. It felt as if he was defending himself a bit much, and that put me off a little. I appreciated the parts related to how well it works, but having it a little shorter would have been nice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Memory.

05/24/2011 page 160