Cheryl's Reviews > Unfallen Dead

Unfallen Dead by Mark Del Franco

Jun 01, 11

Read from May 24 to June 01, 2011 — I own a copy

4 ½ stars.

In this third installment Connor, still lacking his old abilities but with a stronger essence sensing ability thanks to a troll, is under scrutiny from one of High Queen Maeve’s underQueens, Ceridwen, regarding the near apocalypse that took place at Forest Hills Cemetery. Not only that, but his old partner from New York City, Dylan macBain, shows up because of his job with the Guild. Thrown into the mix is Murdock and their latest case of dead bodies with runes carved into their foreheads. The fey holiday of Samhain (our Halloween), when the veil between this world and the world of the dead, TirNaNog, thins is coming up and the recent crimes seem to be related to it. As if that weren’t enough, it appears that Bergin Vize may be involved, too.

There’s a lot of history between Connor and Dylan and we learn a good bit more about Connor’s past in this book. Meryl (who I love) has a bigger role in Unfallen Dead and we learn more about the fey world and fey beliefs. A lot of the characters from the previous books, Briallen, Nigel, Keeva and Joe Flit are all back. Keeva and Connor’s antagonistic relationship is in full swing and, even though I like it when Connor gets a good dig in, I like her character and the fact that, when it really counts, she listens to him and doesn’t write him off, like so many at the Guild have done. Joe is funny and I love how loyal he is to Connor, even as he eats all of his Oreos and drinks his booze. And speaking of loyalty, Murdock is a great. He’s always got Connor’s back, especially in this book; I think I like Murdock as much as I do Connor. Plus, he continues to have interesting things happen as a result of the essence hit he took at Forest Hills.

The blurb on the front says that Connor Grey is rapidly becoming one of the reviewer’s favorite fantasy detectives. He’s already there for me. I love the way Del Franco writes; Connor’s dry, snarky observations are great. The secondary characters are well developed and interesting and there’s always a lot going on in his books; each one leaves me wanting more. I highly recommend this book and the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfallen Dead.

Quotes Cheryl Liked

Mark Del Franco
“If I have to hear one more story about what great fun it was working with you 'back in the city,' which I assume he means that slab of concrete and garbage on the Hudson River, I will not be responsible for the removal of his tongue.”
Mark Del Franco, Unfallen Dead