Lara's Reviews > The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America

The Ten-Cent Plague by David Hajdu

Jun 14, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, audiobooks, comics-graphic-novels, non-fiction
Read from May 24 to June 14, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

While I found the facts themselves interesting, I wasn't crazy about Hajdu's way of telling the story. First of all, I didn't find the title terribly accurate--Hajdu was definitely more interested in talking about how evil Americans destroyed the comic book industry than about how the country as a whole was actually changed because of it. Yeah, all the censorship and comic book burnings were a horrible thing, but I really thought he would say something bigger than, "mean, stupid people killed comic books, the end," which is kind of how this read. It felt incomplete and overly padded at the same time, as it's full of quotes from people that mostly weren't really saying much of anything and too much detail about things that maybe weren't that important to the story as a whole. He doesn't connect things well, maybe. And sometimes he throws things in that don't really make much sense. For instance, towards the end of the book, he talks about how Stan Lee (if I remember correctly) had to fire everyone and says that after talking to each person to tell them there was no more work for them, "he went to the bathroom." O.....kay? It felt like he was trying to imply something with that statement, but I have no idea what. Anyway, in the end I feel somewhat better informed about the happenings surrounding the comic book industry in the 50s, but I can't really say it was a super enjoyable read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten-Cent Plague.

05/24/2011
06/06/2011
25.0% "This is not super fascinating so far. But I will persevere."
06/07/2011
40.0% "You know what it is? All the censorship and comic book bannings and burnings are totally creeping me out. Like, it really makes me sick to my stomach. So this is hard to listen to, even though it's also kind of boring."
show 5 hidden updates…