Kathy Hiester's Reviews > Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian

Running the Books by Avi Steinberg

May 24, 11

Read on May 24, 2011

This book was written with genuineness and the book had moments of true and total exquisiteness. I read these parts in awe of his fervent surveillance and capability to weave a story.
The book is in three pieces. The first piece provided background information and an introduction to his life, the middle read like an essay and echoed his investigation skill, but the final part revealed the story of a inexperienced, advantaged studious man who struggles between fitting into the convict society and the security way of life.

With one of my degrees being in Criminal Justice I feel that the Boston penal system is partly to blame for his failure as a prison librarian. Even though he originally should not have been hired due to his greenness and his own deviant behavior, the system did not provide sufficient training in working with convicts or with individuals who have mental issues. I hope that his tenure there simply embellished an already assumed distrust of intellectuals among the security staff of that particular prison and did not affect someone personally in their life.

4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running the Books.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel I have heard of this book in a couple of places. The description makes it sound like a bit of a mixed bag, but adding it to my TBR anyhow. We'll see if I get to it.