Mitchii's Reviews > Battle Royale

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

May 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery-suspense, runner-ups-fave-too, foreign-books, action-adventure, stand-alone, 2011-reads
Read from May 24 to 26, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Oh man, I got one word for this book – sinister! Even if you combined Hunger Games and Divergent it wouldn’t match the intensity this book has. Not even one fourth. Yes, I know I’m condemning the violence of Divergent just a while ago, but Divergent doesn’t need to be that violent, it was so over the top. I mean failing the initiation doesn’t mean losing your life. Here, in Battle Royale, the kids here got no choice; it’s a matter of survival, lives are on stake.

I’m so immersed with this novel and pulled an all nighter just to finish it (it was so long). I kinda skip some of the bloody description because I don’t want to have a mental picture of how these kids killed each other (it was so gross). If you find Hunger Games violent already, then this one’s not for you. Like I said the violence, language is in extreme. But what I find interesting is how each of the student tries to survive the game… by bringing out all their artillery… figuratively and literally.

I admit, there are things that bothered me (yeah, mostly the violence) but what hold me tightly to the book is how will Shuya survive the deadliest game ever. Oh man, the book does the job. It delivers.

(actual rating - 3.5 stars!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.