Amanda's Reviews > The Long Goodbye

The Long Goodbye by Meghan O'Rourke

May 24, 11

Read in May, 2011

Definitely a tough memoir to read. I read O'Rourke's series that this book was started from on Slate and felt called to read the book. O'Rourke's mother passed after about a 2-year battle with cancer and the memoir covers the year before her death, the moments of her death, and the year (and then some) after. She spent a lot of time reading about death after her mother passed so in the book she was able to approach her grief from the religious, non-religious, spiritual and psychological perspective, and she beautifully references poetry and literature about death. Which may be helpful for someone grieving? I think they were comforting for her because she was seeking, and while there weren't answers there was information. But the tough parts, are just deep and tough and I wonder if someone in grief would find them helpful or not. I was definitely shaken. Regardless, I think O'Rourke is right, there aren't enough books with the stories of grief, we-as a culture, are too afraid of grief and push it away rather than acknowledge it, and I feel this is a welcome addition to the literature out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Goodbye.