Paul's Reviews > A Painted House

A Painted House by John Grisham

M_50x66
May 25, 11

I have read a lot "back then" stories over this year. To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Cannery Row, etc. Compared to all those books, this one was not quite as good. John Grisham is my number one author if I want to read a novel on lawyers, but a novel on contemporary? Not so much. However, I feel Grisham tried hard on this book, and the story was pretty captivating. The story story is about a 7 year old boy named Luke. As a farmer, his father hires a group of Mexicans and what the call "Hill People"(Otherwise known as hillbillies). It seems to be a perfect year-not many plants died, and they found enough people to work on their farm. Like in all books, things don't happen the way we want them to, and disasters that should have never happened occurs. Murder, Floods, and disobedience cause for the farms downfall. There isn't a happy ending; bittersweet, some might call it. This book shows what can happen in a farm that no one can stop from happening.
I liked many things about this book. Luke was an ideal main character for the book. His personality showed the changes that happened in the book. For a seven year old, the things he faced is unimaginable for any age. After seeing a murder and watching his entire life fall into shambles, Luke became more grown up, and learned the hard way that life is not always good. One thing I did not like about the book is how indifferent many of the characters were. Grisham did not write that about how the Mexicans felt, and did not talk about some of the hill people at all. Oh a flood came that destroyed our work we came hundreds of miles to do-no worries. Besides that, the overall storyline was good, and was fascinating to read about the farming life.

The Genre is Drama

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Painted House.