Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Sirensong

Sirensong by Jenna Black

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, around-the-world-arc-tours, arc, young-adult
Read from May 24 to June 18, 2011

***there may be spoilers here -- I tried, but may have let one or two slip***

Dana is in lock down in a safe house deep in the mountain of Avalon where she pines for freedom and which she gets through the help of the Erlking's protection. Freedom always comes with a price for Dana. Her presence is requested by Titania, the Seelie Queen, where she is to be presented at court. It all sounds excitingly innocent, but this being a faerie court, there are ulterior motives especially when the invitation comes from Prince Henry who is not her biggest fan. Dana takes Keane, Kimber and Ethan along for protection and companionship. Her father's court intrigue as Titania's consort comes back into play since he replaced Prince Henry's father and Henry has never forgiven him. While traveling though the Faerie countryside, Dana makes an a couple of decisions that on the surface don't seem very important, but play a huge part in her safety.

The procession to the castle with Prince Henry shows how much he despises Dana's father and even with Finn and the rest protecting Dana, there are many attempts on her life. The Erlking also makes his presence known and lends his protection, even though he really doesn't have to. I think the Erlking shows more humanity and becomes an important ally in Dana's defense. He is probably my favorite character even though he is slightly evil, he freely admits he only does things are in his best interest. (Maybe we can convince the author to spin off a series just of him maybe for us grown ups!) Dana learns that she has even more magic in her than she ever thought possible. Of course, once they do reach the castle there is even more intrigue.

I thought this was the best of the series and although I believe this in the final chapter in Dana's story, I would really like to revisit the characters here again. Dana really grows in this last book and even though she still has her issues with her alcoholic mother and trusting others, she finally learns she has friends that she can lean on. You can see her despair and anger while she deals with her mother and the magical gifts she develops. It is really bittersweet at the end and will make you wish it hadn't ended quite yet.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirensong.

05/25/2011 page 335
100.0% "Amazing story just excellent"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Sperry I'm jealous! I can't wait to read this :)

Mary (BookHounds) LOL -- I am 70 pages in and so far, so good.

message 3: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Oh, man, I can't wait for a chance to read this book.

Sherbie So jealous!!! You're so lucky =)

Katacrepsley I really hope you'll do a review. Seriously, reviews are the only thing that will keep me sane till may 5th. :D

Mary (BookHounds) I am working on it today. :)

Hafiza I want a book about the Erlking too!

Mary (BookHounds) @hafiza I agree! The Erlking would be awesome, but I think it should be a book for adults. That man has sexy written all over him.