Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Emerald Burrito of Oz

Jun 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bizarro, 2011
Read from May 28 to 31, 2011

Oz is real, the gateway is located near Salina, Kansas, and it's something of a tourist destination. Gene leaves LA for a vacation in Oz and stumbles into an impending war between the forces of good and The Hollow Man. Will he get back to LA alive?

The Emerald Burrito of Oz, while a bizarro book, is actually pretty well thought out, more akin to Philip Jose Farmer's Oz book than any of the L. Frank Baum ones. Is Oz being a tourist attraction and exploited by the millitary that hard to imagine? The Emerald Burrito of the title refers to the first Mexican restaurant in Emerald City, as well as a plot device introduced later.

The characters are pretty interesting and the story alternates from the POV of the two leads. Gene's pretty Arthur Dent-ish, at least at first. Aurora Quixote Jones is a warrior woman from earth and the story's other POV character. There's a lot more blood and guts in this than I thought there would be. Then again, how can you not expect an ax-wielding Tin Man and a lion not to spill their share of blood?

Many of the classic denizens of Oz are present, although in different forms. Dorothy is a warrior woman, Toto's getting old, The Scarecrow is the mayor of Oz. Extra points awarded for mention of Faruza Balk and the Return to Oz flick of the 80's.

The Hollow Man and his minions were suitable opponents, though I never really felt like anyone was in jeopardy. The thing that intrigued me the most about The Emerald Burrito of Oz was the traveling between worlds and its impact; American music in Oz, immigrant munchkins, machines that go wonky when they get to Oz, the herd of sentient hummers, things of that nature.

Another thing I liked: No one ever said "We're not in Kansas anymore."

About the only thing I can think of to bitch about is that there wasn't more of it. Since when is one burrito enough? I could go for two or three more Emerald Burritos of Oz.

22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald Burrito of Oz.

05/28/2011 page 9
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea Really, Dan? Again?! My TBR list just gets longer and longer ...

message 2: by Kemper (new)

Kemper You realize I can't vote for this for obvious reasons, right?

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "You realize I can't vote for this for obvious reasons, right?"

Yes, although there is a much heavier focus on Mexican food than there is on Kansas.

message 4: by Kemper (last edited Jun 01, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Kemper Hmmmmm.... should my love of Mexican food outweigh my hatred for Oz? Since it's only one burrito, I think not.

Oh, fine. I'll vote for it. But you can't get me to read the book!

message 5: by Marvin (last edited Jun 01, 2011 07:20AM) (new) - added it

Marvin I feel the same way. Can't stand the Oz books, or Wicked for that matter, but love burritos and this review.