Lori (Pure Imagination)'s Reviews > The Blood Keeper

The Blood Keeper by Tessa Gratton

Aug 17, 12

Read from July 25 to 28, 2012

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton was one of my favorite books of last year. It was so full of atmosphere and the writing was gorgeous. It just had everything I love in a book. I knew going into The Blood Keeper that it was a companion and not a direct sequel. I was a little disappointed by that but I was excited to meet some new characters in this amazing world that Tessa Gratton has created.

I can’t say that I liked The Blood Keeper nearly as much as the first book. It just didn’t have the same feel for me. Plus, I was a little lost for most of the book. I’m not sure if that was because it’s been more than a year since I read Blood Magic or just that there wasn’t much explanation. You are kind of thrown into the story without any back story on who the characters are. Will’s character was fine because he was new and you learned most of his story fairly early on. With Mab, I was lost. She’s part of a large blood witch family. I spent a lot of time trying the make the connection between her, Silla, and Nick. Being so preoccupied with that took away from the story a little.

Other than that I really enjoyed The Blood Keeper. I’m still very enthralled with this magic that Tessa Gratton has created. It’s dark and gritty. I really love the uniqueness of it. The Blood Keeper is also filled with Gratton’s beautiful prose.

Overall, The Blood Keeper wasn’t everything that I wanted it to be, but it was still an enjoyable and worthy followup. I’m very anxious to see what Tessa Gratton has in store for us next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Keeper.

07/26/2012