Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Clockwork Prince

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Merged review:

*****FINAL RATING: 5.00 STARS*****

CATCHALL
Only the second 5.00 star book I've read this year, but utterly and completely deserving. I can honestly say that I have no real complaints. Everything was beautiful, from start to finish, and I was unable to put it down even once. The cover is absolutely marvelous and made me fall in stand love, and I was not disappointed.

THE HEROINE
THERESA GRAY
Tessa grows and changes much in this book as compared to Clockwork Angel. She expands and becomes, in my opinion, much more likable. She is heartbreakingly real and absolutely wonderful. She's courageous, beautiful, and undeniably relatable. She has an aura of power but also of innocence. Tessa is strong but acts very human. She is a wonderfully written heroine and I cannot wait to read more about her.

THE LOVE INTERESTS
JAMES CARSTAIRS
I am absolutely Team Jem, a fact I have never tried to hide. There's something about him that's heartbreaking and beautiful and very, very attractive. I was immediately drawn to him in Angel and have been continued to be drawn to him in Prince. I love reading about him almost more than anything. I actually read pages 201-205 probably like 941,526,234,146,134,455,245,274,982 times. I think the scene is that beautiful. I enjoy nothing more than daydreaming about him. He's kind, and even-tempered, but somehow still not boring. I think he's amazing, and definitely one of my all-time favorite characters. He's like my ideal of a perfect man. (He actually reminds me of my boyfriend rather a lot. They both act similar and they're both-well, I may as well say it-dying. Still, I hope something can be done so that he'll live. Both of them. But I digress-this is getting rather personal.)
WILLIAM HERONDALE
I'm going to be brutally honest here: I did not like Will at all in Angel. But in this book, he grew on me immensely. I found myself actually attracted to him and by the end of the book, I had fallen in love with him. It would have been difficult not to-he's so beautiful and determined. As I learned more about him, the less I began to dislike him. He grows stronger and much nicer in this installment until I had a hard time remembering why I disliked him so much in the first place. Will took his place as one of my favorite book characters easily.

THE OTHER SECONDARY CHARACTERS
CHARLOTTE AND HENRY BRANWELL
Charlotte and Henry are developed beautifully in this book. Their relationship grows as well, and a certain scene that took place between the two of them actually moved me to tears, it was so sweet. I adored them and I certainly want to hear more about them. They each grow individually as well, becoming stronger.
GIDEON LIGHTWOOD
He surprised me. I expected a much different kind of character than I was presented with, and I believe I'm a little in love with him too. He was unexpectedly beautiful. I hope to see much more of him in the upcoming Princess. He seems quite kind and sympathetic, as well as all-around good.
BENEDICT AND GABRIEL LIGHTWOOD
Father and son, each is a very intriguing and deep character. We don't get to see a whole lot of them, which is a shame, but perhaps we'll see more of them later on. They played significant roles that I would love to see expanded.
JESSAMINE LOVELACE
First, I feel compelled to point out that this is what jessamine looks like:

That aside, she had an interesting plot twist as well. She intrigued me from the very beginning of the book but I never saw anything coming until it was revealed. It was an unpleasant but well-done surprise that was significant and not at all dull.
NATHANIEL GRAY
I love how Clare deals with family drama and hatred. In TMI it was Clary and Valentine; in TID it's Tessa and Nate. I have my own family issues so it's interesting for me to read about these things. But again, I digress. Nate is a very well developed character. He plays no small role, which didn't completely shock me but there were some aspects I did not see coming. We see more of his real character in this book, as opposed to the mask we were given in Angel.
MAGNUS BANE
I love. But then again, who doesn't? We only get little teasing glimpses of him in this book, but each is exquisite and I adored each one. I hope we have more of him in Princess.
SOPHIE
Not just a maid anymore, Sophie contributes to the plot of Prince significantly. Also, I liked her much better in this book than in the last.

THE PLOT
The plot must have had 473 twists, which kept me constantly guessing. It was quickly paced but not so fast that I couldn't breathe. I constantly felt like I had to absolute know what came next, leaving me unable to put the book down, even for a single aching moment. It is beautifully original and historically correct as well. Enough questions and conflicts are resolved that I didn't get totally frustrated, but I was still left absolutely aching for the next book. The plot was wonderful and made this book completely un-put-down-able! Clare has created such a marvelous world and seamlessly incorporated it into what was real. Instead of feeling false, it feels undeniably and absolutely real.

THE ROMANCE
JEM AND TESSA
Jem and Tessa's romance develops far more in this book than it did in the last. It is subtle and sweet, but is most assuredly there. There is undeniably chemistry between them that heats up very quickly in this book. It's most certainly not clichéd or overdramatized, but feels realistic. It sizzles but is not overdone. It feels like a real, genuine love that grows and changes throughout. It is slow, but steady, the kind of feeling that lasts.
WILL AND TESSA
I love both Will and Tessa, but I will never love their romance. It reminds me too much of Jace and Clary. Don't get me wrong-I love Jace and Clary's romance-but I don't want to read about the same couples again. And again and again and again. But it's also less-I feel chemistry, but not love. More like heavy, heavy lust, which, let's face it, is wonderful, but fades.

THE WRITING
I will probably continue to be blown away by Clare's writing until I die. It is absolutely beautiful. It is descriptive, it is pretty, it is lovely. It describes everything in immaculate detail and doesn't leave the feeling of holes or confusion. The book is mostly told from Tessa's point of view, and Clare gives her an achingly read and beautiful voice, which was impossible for me not to admire. There was no way that with such beautiful writing I could not have loved this. It is incredibly well-written.

THE ENDING
Hello, surprise. While it wasn't completely unexpected, it wasn't the number one outcome I had predicted in my head. It was fantastic and desperate and beautiful. I really, really liked it. But as I do not want to give anything away I will say no more!

WRAPUP
Oh, yes, I will be reading Clockwork Princess. As soon as I possibly can, and desperately. I need to get my hands on it.

FINE.

You can also read this review on Sparkles and Lightning.

***********************************************
Team Jem all the way!! Jem is love <33

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Prince.

Quotes Annabelle Marie Veronica Liked

Cassandra Clare
“They’re not hideous,” said Tessa.
Will blinked at her. “What?”
“Gideon and Gabriel,” said Tessa. “They’re really quite good-looking, not hideous at all.”
“I spoke,” said Will, in sepulchral tones, “of the pitch-black inner depths of their souls.”
Tessa snorted. “And what color do you suppose the inner depths of your soul are, Will Herondale?”
“Mauve,” said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will’s voice dropped. “Everyone makes mistakes, Jem.”
“Yes,” said Jem. “You just make more of them than most people.”
“I —”
“You hurt everyone,” said Jem. “Everyone whose life you touch.”
“Not you,” Will whispered. “I hurt everyone but you. I never meant to
hurt you.”
Jem put his hands up, pressing his palms against his eyes. “Will —”
“You can’t never forgive me,” Will said in disbelief, hearing the
panic tinging his own voice. “I’d be —”
“Alone?” Jem lowered his hand, but he was smiling now, crookedly. “And
whose fault is that?”

Cassandra Clare
“Someday, Will, I will go where none can follow me, and I think it will be sooner rather than later. Have you ever asked yourself why I agreed to be your parabatai?”

Cassandra Clare
“You’re seventeen,” Magnus said. “You can’t have wasted a life you’ve barely lived.”

Cassandra Clare
“Say something in Mandarin,” said Tessa, with a smile.
Jem said something that sounded like a lot of breathy vowels and
consonants run together, his voice rising and falling melodically: “Ni
hen piao liang.”
“What did you say?” Tessa was curious.
“I said your hair is coming undone — here,” he said, and reached out
and tucked an escaping curl back behind her ear. Tessa felt the blood
spill hot up into her face, and was glad for the dimness of the
carriage. “You have to be careful with it,” he said, taking his hand
back, slowly, his fingers lingering against her cheek.”

Cassandra Clare
“He’s very pretty. For a human.”
“He’s very broken,” said Magnus. “Like a lovely vase that someone has smashed. Only luck and skill can put it back together the way it was before.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem is nothing but goodness. That he struck you last night only shows how capable you are of driving even saints to madness.”

Cassandra Clare
“She smiled at him. “How did you know just what I’d want to see?”
“How could I not?” he said. “When I think of you, and you are not there, I see you in my mind’s eye always with a book in your hand.” He looked away from her as he said it, but not before she caught the slight flush on his cheekbones. He was so pale, he could never hide even the least blush, she thought — and was surprised how affectionate the thought was.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah,” said a voice from the doorway, “having your annual ‘everyone thinks Will is a lunatic’ meeting, are you?
“It’s biannual,” said Jem. “And no, this is not that meeting.”

Cassandra Clare
“I am not the one of us who has no heart.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will has always been the brighter burning star, the one to catch attention — but Jem is a steady flame, unwavering and honest. He could make you happy.”

Cassandra Clare
“When Will truly wants something,” said Jem, quietly, “when he feels something — he can break your heart.”

Cassandra Clare
“Our souls are knit. We are one person, James.”

Cassandra Clare
“We’re Nephilim. Every one of our life’s passages has some mystical component — our births, our deaths, our, marriages, everything has a ceremony and a rune. There is one as well if you wish to become someone’s parabatai. It’s no small commitment.”

Cassandra Clare
“Love potions? For Will Herondale? T’aint my way to turn down payment, but any man who looks like you has got no need of love potions, and that’s a fact.”

Cassandra Clare
“We live and breathe words. .... It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them. Reading your words, what you wrote, how you were lonely sometimes and afraid, but always brave; the way you saw the world, its colors and textures and sounds, I felt--I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted--and then I realized that truly I just wanted you.”

Cassandra Clare
“I could not tell you if I loved you the first moment I saw you, or if it was the second or third or fourth. But I remember the first moment I looked at you walking toward me and realized that somehow the rest of the world seemed to vanish when I was with you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Trains are great dirty smoky things," said Will. "You won't like it."
Tessa was unmoved. "I won't know if I like it until I try it, will I?"
"I've never swum naked in the Thames before, but I know I wouldn't like it."
"But think how entertaining for sightseers," said Tessa, and she saw Jem duck his head to hide the quick flash of his grin.”

Cassandra Clare
“Reparations,” said Jem very suddenly, setting down the pen he was holding.
Will looked at him in puzzlement. “Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine is ‘genuphobia’. It means an unreasonable fear of knees.”
“What’s the word for a perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?” inquired Jessamine.”

Cassandra Clare
“Demon pox, oh demon pox
Just how is it acquired?
One must go down to the bad part of town
Until one is very tired.
Demon pox, oh demon pox, I had it all along—
Not the pox, you foolish blocks,
I mean this very song—
For I was right, and you were wrong!"

"Will!" Charlotte shouted over the noise, "Have you LOST YOUR MIND? CEASE THAT INFERNAL RACKET! Jem—"
Jem, rising to his feet, clapped his hands over Will's mouth. "Do you promise to be quiet?" he hissed into his friend's ear.
Will nodded, blue eyes blazing. Tessa was staring at him in amazement; they all were. She had seen Will many things—amused, bitter, condescending, angry, pitying—but never giddy before.
Jem let him go. "All right, then."
Will slid to the floor, his back against the armchair, and threw up his arms. "A demon pox on all your houses!" he announced, and yawned.
"Oh, God, weeks of pox jokes," said Jem. "We're in for it now.”

Cassandra Clare
“Lord, you're Irish," said Will. "Can you make things that don't have potatoes in them? We had an Irish cook once when I was a boy. Potato pie, potato custard, potatoes with potato sauce...”

Cassandra Clare
“I've never minded it," he went on. "Being lost, that is. I had always thought one could not truly be lost if one knew one's own heart. But I fear I may be lost without knowing yours.”

Cassandra Clare
“She had never imagined she had the power to make someone else so happy. And not a magical power, either--a purely human one.”

Cassandra Clare
“One finds nobility in the oddest places.”

Cassandra Clare
“He bent to put his cheek against hers. His breath against her ear made her shudder with each deliberately spoken word. "I have wanted to do this," he said, "every moment of every hour of every day that I have been with you since the day I met you.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's too late," she said.
"Don't say that." His voice was half a whisper. "I love you, Tessa. I love you.”

Cassandra Clare
“You haven't broken his heart yet, have you?"
"No," Tessa said. Just torn my own in two. "I haven't broken his heart at all.”

Cassandra Clare
“If I might make a suggestion,” said Will. “About twenty paces behind us, in the Council room, is Benedict. If you’d like to go back in there and try kicking him, I recommend aiming upward and a bit to the left—”

Cassandra Clare
“Well,” Tessa said, sighting along the line of the knife, “you behave as if you dislike me. In fact, you behave as if you dislike us all.”
“I don’t,” Gabriel said. “I just dislike him.” He pointed at Will.
“Dear me,” said Will, and he took another bite of his apple. “Is it because I’m better-looking than you?”

Cassandra Clare
“We live and breathe words.”

Cassandra Clare
“Oh, leave it,” said Jem, kicking Will, not without affection, lightly on the ankle.
“She’s annexed my plan!”
“Will,” Tessa said firmly. “Do you care more about the plan being enacted or about getting credit for it?”
Will pointed a finger at her.
“That,” he said. “The second one.”

Cassandra Clare
“This is about Tessa. I knew it was."
Will flushed, a wash of color across the pallor of this face. "Not just her."
"But you love her."
Will stared at him. "Of course I do," he said finally. "I had come to think i would never love anyone, but I love her.”

Cassandra Clare
“It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them.”

Cassandra Clare
“If you do not help me," Tessa said to Jem, "I swear, I will change into you, and I will lift him myself. And then everyone here will see what you look like in a dress." She fixed him with a look. "Do you understand?”

Cassandra Clare
“You speak of sacrifice, but it is not my sacrifice I offer. It is yours I ask of you," he went on. "I can offer you my life, but it is a short life; I can offer you my heart, though I have no idea how many more beats it shall sustain. But I love you enough to hope that you wil not care that I am being selfish in trying to make the rest of my life - whatever length - happy, by spending it with you. I want to be married to you, Tessa. I want it more than I have ever wanted anything else in my life." He looked up at her through the veil of silvery hair that fell over his eyes. "That is," he said shyly, "if you love me, too.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

L.R. Green how do you read it? Where can I find this?!?!

L.R. Green Is that all there is?!?! Either way, I agree with you...beautiful, just beautiful.

Annabelle Marie Veronica I wish there was more too. But at least there's something(:

Jennifer WOOOO! You will not be disappointed in this book! I know good things for us Jem people are happening!

Annabelle Marie Veronica Good things did happen! You must be as happy as I(:

Wendy Darling Hah, I totally disagree with you about Will and Tessa (especially their being similar to Jace and Clary), but I am totally thrilled you loved this too! :D

Fantastic review, Miss AMV.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Thank you very much!

I believe I am in the minority about Tessa and Will, but who knows? I am sure I will love Clockwork Princess no matter who Tessa ends up with.

Wendy Darling Agreed. :)

Jennifer I loved your review and agree completely. Especially about Will and Tessa. A heavy lust but I feel not much more between them. I love the growth of Jem and Tessa. A great friendship and true love where I felt like Will and Tessa happened way too fast without enough build. Mostly she talks about how good looking he is. I also feel like it is Clary and Jace all over again. Of course not exactly the same but too similar for me to enjoy. I just think Jem will love her the way she deserves and bring her much happiness. She just needs to let go of her infatuation with Will which I am hoping she will in the next book but who knows. I predict much heartbreak and surprises in the next one. But at least I have awhile to dream and ride on this Jem high I have currently.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh, I completely agree with you on every account, Jennifer! I have very high hopes too. Oh, and I'll be doing the same for quite a long time(:

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh, and thank you!!