Micah's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Sep 06, 12

Recommended to Micah by: Eli Poteet
Recommended for: someone who feels strong in their recovery from disordered eating
Read from September 04 to 05, 2012

Wow. This book sat on my shelf for a good six months before I returned it to its owner because I wasn't in a place to read it. Now that I am in a place that I could access this subject, I blew right through the book.

Portia's genuine reflection about her eating disorder was beautiful. She wrote so vividly, so clearly about the ways in which her eating habits and her view of self were disordered. It was so real, I couldn't help but feel it.

At the same time, Portia didn't give much time to her recovery in this book. I wish she had written more about it, but I'm guessing that she didn't, because she couldn't or had no idea what to say. So I accept that; however, I do caution readers that this book may trigger one's own feelings about being inadequate and could be a dangerous read for anyone who is currently struggling with their body and the way they eat.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.

09/04/2012 page 74