Petra Willemse's Reviews > Mousetrapped: A Year and A Bit in Orlando, Florida

Mousetrapped by Catherine Ryan Howard

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2011

I have to say I hated this book. It's not really a book, but an extended whine about her time working - not in Disneyworld as you might be tricked into assuming - in a hotel near Disneyworld. I know other reviewers have slammed her naivete, so I won't expand on that, although it irritated me too. What I will add is that I hated how the book would veer into long passages on completely different concepts. For example, because Howard is interested in NASA, we suddenly get pages of description of the space program before returning to how this relates to her own narrative. The last negative thing I will add is about her chapter on the religious theme park. In her afterword, Howard explains that this chapter had actually been revised for the ereader edition because it was "too negative". If this was the revised version, I can't even imagine how negative the original must have been. I found Howard's commentary damning and hyper-critical of the theme park, in a completely gratuitous manner. Overall, I would not recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mousetrapped.