Marion's Reviews > Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order

Life As I Blow It by Sarah Colonna

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, first-reads, autobiography-memoir, humor, twitter-giveaway
Read from January 31 to February 04, 2012 — I own a copy

I received an early copy of Sarah Colonna's "Life As I Blow It" through Random House’s Early Bird Reads Twitter Program and couldn't have been more happy to be chosen. Colonna is best known for her work on "Chelsea Lately" and "After Chelsea," as well as various stand-ups she's done throughout her career.

In "Life As I Blow It," Colonna hilariously writes about what it means to grow up in Arkansas, her struggles with getting her career on track, and figuring out if love and drinking can go together. I wasn't sure what to expect from "Life As I Blow It" because I've read many books where the authors attempt to tie in humor, but often times the jokes fall flat; however, Colonna is a genuinely good storyteller and had me laughing out loud throughout most of the book. I can't honestly recall a time where I laughed so hard I had to put the book down to compose myself. Her tales of love and sex were so ridiculous, that one can't help but laugh and be shocked by it all. Even though I couldn't really relate to much of what she's been through in life, I was still able to relate to many of the feelings she experienced. Anyone who's been in love, scared of growing up or simply unsure of where one's life is going can easily relate to some of the emotions and reasons behind her life choices.

What I really love about the book is that even though it's humorous, she still honestly reflects on deeply personal topics and shows what great character she has. I specifically found the chapter where she talks about her friend Neil deeply moving, especially toward the end where she puts all humor aside and somberly speaks about the aftermath of what happened to him. One of the only problems I had with the book is that at times she would get off topic and go off on a tangent. I would find myself re-reading certain sections in order to figure out the timeline of things. Had she fine tuned that a bit better, the overall flow of the book would have been much better.

I have always been a big fan of Sarah Colonna, but after reading "Life As I Blow It" I have found a new found respect for her. By no means do I feel like I know her now, but I do feel as though I can understand her better. At the end of the day she's just trying to find herself and figure out if she really can have it all -- or if some big sacrifices are going to have to be made. I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially her fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As I Blow It.