Iskreads's Reviews > I Dreamed of Africa

I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann

U_50x66
May 23, 11

bookshelves: 8th-roberts

The book I Dreamed Of Africa is a very touching memoir about the author, Kuki Gallman’s life in Laikipia, Kenya. One day when Mrs. Gallman was 12 years old her teacher in Italy told her class to write an essay about where they would be and what they would be doing in 20 years. She wrote about how she would be living in Africa and seeing the giraffes and the lions and the buffalo where ever she went, and when she got the essay back, there was a big check on it but no grade. When she asked her teacher why she didn’t get a grade, her teacher replied, “It is well written as usual, but totally absurd…Why did you have to write about Africa?” She replied, “But I do want to live in Africa, I do not want to stay here all my life. One day I shall go to Africa. I shall send you a postcard from there, signora, in 20 years time.” Twenty years later, she did.
I Dreamed Of Africa is about how she raised her family in Africa, and all the happy and sad experiences she had. She owns a game reserve and is trying to save its wildlife by educating the local villagers in the area about the effects of poaching and why they should stop. She is also trying to conserve Kenya’s amazing wildlife and vegetation.
I Dreamed Of Africa is an excellent example of a mix of an autobiography and a biography, because the book is written in such a way that she is telling her own story, and the stories of people who she loved and some of who died. This book also refers to some families who were good friends of the Gallman’s, such as the Leakey’s, who are leading archeologists, and the Blocks, who started the first international hotels in Kenya. She also made friends with some members of the Turkana and Tharaka tribes.
I Dreamed Of Africa is special to me because I met the author and she told my class and me from Lycee Denis Diderot (the French school in Nairobi) some of these stories. She told us these stories at a lodge on her ranch. We all sat around a campfire and I looked at her across the flames while she told some of these stories and pictured them in my mind.

Review by Ashraf Soltani

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Dreamed of Africa.