Alex Ristea's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Apr 24, 14

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, series
Read from April 19 to 24, 2014

A thoroughly uninteresting and unsatisfying book.

Honesty, I only finished it because A) I'm curious to read the rest of the series since I've heard so many good things and B) I had no other audiobooks to listen to on my lengthy commute.

This is the second King novel I've tried, and I still can't shake the small, dingy American town feel. It's bleak as hell, but not even good bleak.

I did not care what was happening in the story for most of the novel. It was confusing and experimental to the detriment of the story (as opposed to the utter awesomeness of the story like in Malazan Book of the Fallen).

Overall, the prose was good but the story itself horribly fell flat.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

04/19/2014 marked as: currently-reading
04/19/2014
30.0% "Struggling hard. Does the tone/mood change as the book/series goes on? I can't shake the small and dingy American town from the 30s feel. Not really enjoying this so far."
04/24/2014 marked as: read

David Sven Obviously not for everyone. I still think you may like book 2.

Alex Ristea I am still hopeful!

message 3: by Dara (last edited Apr 24, 2014 06:22AM) (new)

Dara God review! I've only read two King books myself and thought they were alright. I liked The Green Mile a bit more than The Shining. For some reason, King tends to bore me.

Ctgt I never made it through this series. I do love much of his early horror but this never clicked with me.