Anthony Pinder's Reviews > Luka and the Fire of Life

Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie

May 25, 2011

liked it
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is definitely not my favorite Rushdie book. It continues the story of Rashid Kahlifa's boys and their adventures from Haroun and the Sea of Stories. This one follows Luka, Haroun's younger brother, and Luka's pet bear and dog through a video-game-like magical world on a quest to revive his father with the Fire of Life.

To me, it felt like 2 things: first that Salman Rushdie enjoyed his experience writing his first children's story with Haround and the Sea of Stories and decided it was time he tried it again, only this time really go for a children's story, not a story that adults can read to their children, but one kids could actually read and understand themselves. Second, he had too many ideas floating around and rushed to get them all into the book resulting in too many short lived plot lines and catastrophes easily averted.

All in all, it was a nice story and could definitely be read to/by children and I'm sure they would enjoy all of the video game analogies and explanations. But for me, it just wasn't the same old Rushdie literary word-play, marathon of a novel I was looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luka and the Fire of Life.