Amy Y.'s Reviews > That Was Then, This is Now

That Was Then, This is Now by S.E. Hinton

May 23, 11

bookshelves: 2010-2011-advisory
Read in May, 2011

The book called "That Was Then, This is Now" is about these two boys named Bryon and Mark who have been close friends since they were kids. They protected each other and loved each other as brothers. Living in a poverty neighborhood, Bryon and Mark helped watch each other's backs. However, Bryon seems to be going in the "wrong direction". Byron is more occupied with girls and his career than spending time with Mark. This is the beginning of the end. Additionally, when Mark and Byron begin to grow apart, Byron discovers a terrible secret about Mark. Would this drive Mark and Bryon's friendship down the drain?

The book was OK, that's all I could say. I really love how Bryon and Mark loved each other as brothers, I thought that was really cute. I could kind of relate to them because I had this friend that I had really loved and cared for, but as we both have gotten older, we just grew apart and it was really upsetting to me. In addition, I really understand Bryon and Mark's pain about separating from each other. As for S.E's writing, I think she does an amazing job of transitioning setting page to page, which helped me give a visual picture of the event. Overall, if I would've rate this book on a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 4 out of 10, because of it's sense of writing, creativity, originality and tone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Was Then, This is Now.