Heidi's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Apr 16, 08

bookshelves: fiction, read2008, pageturners-group
Read in March, 2008

I vacillate on how much I like this book. On the one hand it contains a lot of the poetic metaphor that I do tend to like in a book. On the other hand it contains just too much of it, and way too many adjectives and adverbs. In my book group, some loved it, and some couldn't stand it for these very reasons, so it is a book that makes for a good conversation. My description of "too overwrought" got some enthusiastic nods. It was a good story, definitely.

With so much metaphor, there is plenty to talk about if you can get past the loved it/hated it conversation. The book begins with the birth of twins, and a few lies. One of the twins has Downs Syndrome, and the father who is a doctor sees that as a death knell, a crippling factor in his family's future. He sends the baby girl away with his nurse...who keeps her. He tells his drug-addled wife that the baby died. This lie becomes a wall that affects the rest of their lives together.

The nurse also lies, but somehow her lies create a good life for herself and the child. There's a difference there, something to think about. The author leaves it up to us, the readers, to hash that out.

Just a few metaphors: snakes; photography keeping at a distance; roots and growth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.