Lou's Reviews > The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Feb 17, 13

bookshelves: july-read, mystery-thriller, psychos, serial-killers
Read from July 26 to 28, 2011

Read the Donald Ray Pollock Recommends Books page, put together from an interview i had with Donald Ray Pollock Here.

Beware some brutal characters contained within this story.
The name Pollock strikes up images in my head of the paintings of Jackson Pollock the painter, that splatter art. Well this Pollock is just as creative with his storytelling that leaves a deep branding in your mind and soul of a human stain of evil characters, that will stay with you well after you have finished this book. I am thinking of similarities here to Authors of likes of Jim Thompson who wrote ‘The Killer inside me’ and Daniel Woodrell.

In the town Knockemstiff Pollock has crammed a motley crew of all the grittiest and evil characters you could find. These characters are ones you don’t want to tell your kids that they exist on this planet. You will find in these pages slices of the worst of the worst. The show is on and the location is Knockemstiff, you will get more than you fair slice of the darkest of souls that you could muster up. The hero for me in this story is Arvin he dishes out some sweet justice that makes you really rejoice in accolades of well done i been waiting for that evil good for nothing to taste some justice. The author is hitting topics here head on, ones that the Vatican need to take heed of and act, too many darn wolves in Sheep’s clothing.

Some really swell writing from Pollock. Believe the hype that is out there right now about this writer and his works.

“Unless he had whiskey running through his veins, Willard came to the clearing every morning and evening to talk to God. Arvin didn’t know which was worse, the drinking or the praying. As far back as he could remember, it seemed that his father had fought the Devil all the time.”

“it sounded more like they were practicing some sort of voodoo instead of anything Christian.”

There is a video interview at the Ohio channel with this author of a show called Writers talk.

www.more2read.com/?review=the-devil-all

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil All the Time.

07/26/2011 page 90
33.0% "Good old grittiness."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aloha Thank you, Lou, for the recommendation. This book sounds great! I added it to my pile. I think it is in danger of toppling over. If I get killed, I'm blaming you.

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou "IT wasn't me!'

Aloha My ghost will still haunt you for eternity.

message 4: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou That more like it!

switterbug (Betsey) Man, that was a great book.

Charles White Great Book. His stories are great too.

Leslie Kent Thank you for your friend request. I'm thinking it's because I just finished this. Excellent review. You put into words what I could not quite capture. And agree that his writing "branded," me.

message 8: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Leslie wrote: "Thank you for your friend request. I'm thinking it's because I just finished this. Excellent review. You put into words what I could not quite capture. And agree that his writing "branded," me."
Lol :) thanks nice to know i did something right. I had just been trying to write a short story and didnt realise how hard writing can be. At least i have still reviews i can write, if i never end up publishing a story.

message 9: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima I am adding this book to my to read list. Thanks for the review Lou!

message 10: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I have had this on my amazon wishlist for months now and this just proves that I must get it.

Melanie great review, this novel is a favourite of mine, think I'll return to it soon

message 12: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Melanie wrote: "great review, this novel is a favourite of mine, think I'll return to it soon"
Thanks, its worth a re-read.

message 13: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Shay wrote: "I have had this on my amazon wishlist for months now and this just proves that I must get it."
Get to it and be shocked.

message 14: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Laima wrote: "I am adding this book to my to read list. Thanks for the review Lou!"
Ok dear, i hope you like it!

Alecia I lked this very noir book also! See my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 16: by Bonnie (last edited Oct 07, 2012 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bonnie Brody Pollock is a great writer. I've read both his books and loved them. Good review. Bonnie

message 17: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Great review, Lou. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and am waiting for the next Pollock to appear.

message 18: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Mike wrote: "Great review, Lou. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and am waiting for the next Pollock to appear."

Thanks, will be interesting to see what he writes next.

S Suzanne thanks for the video link. I really enjoyed this book. It's inspiring to see a writer like this kick off. Looking forward to more of his work.