Julie's Reviews > Yours to Keep

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, read-in-2013
Read in May, 2011

Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

When I first told my husband about what Yours to Keep was about, he looked at me with an “are you sh*tting me?” expression, shook his head and walked away. Mind you, that is often his reaction when I tell him about one of my books – that and walking away mumbling “Why did I not just stay in the basement?…” I must admit that I did feel a little like he did this time around. The idea that a woman would go up to a total stranger and ask him to be her fake fiancé and live with her for a month while her grandmother visited from Florida…a little farfetched for my liking. But the romance and the characters totally made it worth reading. It’s a really is a cute and sweet story.

I first heard of Shannon Stacey when I read the Naughty & Nice anthology last year. Hers was by far my favorite story in that book. I loved her style and her writing voice. On top of that, her characters and story were adorable. I really wanted to read more by her but never got around to it…until now.

Yours to Keep is the third book in Shannon’s Kowolski Family series and this book just made me smile all kinds of smiles. There were “Awww” smiles. There were “He is so dreamy” smiles. There were “oh for goodness’ sakes” smiles and there were “oh my goodness, who knew he had that in him?” smiles…and most of these smiles occurred while reading scenes that included Sean. Other than agreeing to a total stranger’s idea of being a fake fiancé for a while, I found Sean to react quite normally to the situations that were thrown at him. He has recently left the Army and really doesn’t know what he wants to do next. He knows he does not want to settle down so soon after finding his ‘freedom’ though. I found his struggle to figure out what to do was very well done.

Emma was good. I didn’t not like her, I just found she was a little odd at first. Well, who wouldn’t think that after reading her grand scheme? Even Sean called her “batshit crazy”. But I soon warmed up to her and realized that she is simply a smart and capable woman who is only trying to do what is best for her grandmother. And she too handled what the Kowalski family threw at her very well.

There were quite a few scenes in this book that had me laughing out loud (such as the Newlywed Game scene) and there were quite a few moments that had me grining with little hearts in my eyes (such as when Sean left sticky-notes on the bathroom mirror for Emma to find). And there was a whole sub-plot involving Emma’s grandmother that I was not expecting in a novella but that made my heart pitter-patter. It was a very sweet surprise.

Even though I found the idea behind the story a little “uh-huh?..” I never once thought about not continuing the book. I actually quite enjoy story arcs that follow two people who are thrown into an awkward situation. It’s always fun to watch them handle that all while they fall in love. Those are some of my favorite romance plots. I will definitely be going back to read the first two books in this series and will be looking out for future releases. Yours to Keep is a quick read filled with adorable characters and a sweet love story. A wonderful weekend read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yours to Keep.