Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines)'s Reviews > Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine

Oct 16, 11

bookshelves: highly-recommend
Read from September 28 to October 01, 2011

Ballantine and Morris' well-crafted debut provides mystery, intrigue and a brilliantly paired duo, Books and Braun.

Agent Eliza D. Braun is a strong and admirable heroine. She is sassy, playful, and full of life. Her occasional moments of recklessness and her penchant for dynamite are all a part of this Ministry agent's charm.

Archivist Wellington Thornhill Books Esquire is Eliza's complete opposite.

He's disciplined, well-mannered, often snobbish and uptight. He's comfortable in his routine and prefers being isolated deep within the Ministry's Archives. He's also very clever and occasionally charming.

As a punishment for her insubordination while in the field, the director of the Ministry places Eliza in the Archives to work alongside Wellington, or Welly, as she prefers.

Eliza is introduced to the Ministry's unresolved case files. One case in particular involves her former partner, Agent Harrison Thorne.

Showing little regard for authority, Eliza decides to unofficially reopen the case and manipulates a reluctant Books into becoming involved as well. This is when the action increases, the mystery begins to unravel, and an Archivist's loyalty and patience is thoroughly tested.

I adored Ballantine and Morris' writing style. The point of view changes throughout the story flowed smoothly and were orchestrated in a way that keeps the reader engaged.

After finishing this story, I immediately went in search of news on the second novel of Peculiar Occurrences. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful in finding any useful information.

Hopefully, there are future plans to continue this series because I, for one, am interested in reading more about Books, Braun, and their next adventure for Queen and Country.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phoenix Rising.

09/28/2011 page 181
45.0% 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Feistygodwin I've been eyeing this book for months! I'll be curious to see what you think! ;)

message 2: by Bell (new) - added it

Bell Curran You've got my curiosity piqued - interested to read your review once you're finished!

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) It was great! I hope to find some time to write a review soon. I'm a little disappointed that I can't find any info on a sequel.

message 4: by Bell (new) - added it

Bell Curran OK, I'm putting it on my to-read list!