Simon's Reviews > The Fifth Witness

1937720
May 23, 11

bookshelves: mystery-101
Read in May, 2011

3.5 stars. When I was a bookseller I eagerly awaited each of Connelly's next books. It has been a while since I read him with that regularity but The Fifth Witness is an entertaining and topical read. Even if "Lincoln Lawyer" Mickey Haller isn't quite as memorable as Connelly's #1 hero Harry Bosch (who has a walk-on here), we find him here at a turning point in his life. Haller seems uncomfortable with what he's doing, even as his practice gets a financial shot in the arm through the foreclosure epidemic. A murder case involving a woman accused of killing a banker seems like a sure ride to the top of the criminal defense pyramid in L.A., but is that wehre Haller wants to go? Connelly nimbly takes us through Haller's strategies and the case itself contains plenty of reversals. My only slight complaint is that the I don't know if Connelly's heart is entirely in the final twist. Still, Haller ends the book with his story (and future novels) headed in a surprising new direction. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Witness.