Betsy's Reviews > Teaching the Restless: One School's Remarkable No-Ritalin Approach to Helping Children Learn and Succeed

Teaching the Restless by Chris Mercogliano

419395
May 23, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in May, 2011

A really thought-provoking book for anyone who has, has worked with, or has taught hyper-active children and/or those labeled AD(H)D. Mercogliano is very upfront about his bias against medicating children with biopsychiatric drugs and offers insight and anecdotes from his 30+ year experience teaching in a "free" school (very similar to a Montessori approach). I appreciated his willingness to view each child as an individual, to seek to uncover any and all factors influencing the child's behavior, to treat families as units and strive for their wholeness. However, I come at this discussion from a completely different worldview, believing that children (and all people) do NOT have it "within themselves" to overcome every obstacle. Instead, I believe children are made in the image of God and that is why they can exercise responsibility, interact socially, seek forgiveness, etc. This book is worth reading and discussing for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teaching the Restless.