Emily May's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

May 17, 15

bookshelves: young-adult, 2011, contemporary, favourites
Read from June 05 to 06, 2011

I'll get the small amount of negative out of the way first. This book was faultless right up until the very last minute where I felt the ending was pulled together rather hurriedly and just ended up being quite a weak conclusion to a deeply emotional and, at times, horrifying novel. It's the only bad thing I have to say about this book and I was still left feeling certain that I would read Cracked Up to Be and Fall for Anything.

The story in many ways reminded me a lot of Speak. Both novels were written excellently with characters you could relate to and believe in; and they also both dealt with false accusations and the ostracisation of a girl by her friends and high school classmates. Speak is very specifically about a girl afraid to talk about her ordeal, and the tagline to Some Girls Are is "Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut", so the themes are similar. What was different was that where the protagonist of Speak became an outcast, Regina from this book was completely destroyed by a series of horrendous physical and mental attacks by those she had previously considered friends.

It was a much more dramatic story than Speak which gave it the edge to make it that much better a book. I was completely unable to stop reading, I cared deeply about Regina and what the outcome of all this bullying would be for her. I also adored Michael, I didn't foresee him becoming such a lovable character but he continually surprised me.

I don't know whether this book is a particularly accurate representation of relationships and fall-outs in high school... I had some awful experience with bullying but I can honestly say I don't ever recall there being anything of this calibre. Then again, maybe I chose not to see this kind of thing. Either way, the book was so full of raw emotion and sadness and forgiveness. It's about the importance of learning to say sorry. Don't mistake this for another cheesy high school drama - it is so so much more!

43 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.

06/05/2011 page 78
06/05/2011 page 78
32.0% "This book is so addictive!"
show 1 hidden update…

Alyssa Couldn't have said it better myself. I picked up on the rushed ending, too, but it just makes me wonder if that's Summers' writing style, as she does that with her other books, too. Great review.

Emily May Thank you! The ending was rushed but I still loved it... in fact, I've just got Cracked Up to Be :)

message 3: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney okay, if you rated it 5/5, i feel rather obligated to read this x3

Nadia Felt the same way about the ending, but great book nonetheless!

Holly Herren I absolutely loved Some Girls Are and Cracked Up To Be, and i had to say i've noticed you review on a lot of books that i have read as well as ones i am interested in reading in the future, and i love all your reviews! You're very insightful and i look forward to reading more of your reviews. :-)

Emily May Holly wrote: "I absolutely loved Some Girls Are and Cracked Up To Be, and i had to say i've noticed you review on a lot of books that i have read as well as ones i am interested in reading in the future, and i l..."