Jenni's Reviews > Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness

Truth and Dare by Liz Miles

May 28, 11

Read from May 23 to 25, 2011

It has been a long time since I’ve read any short stories so when I got the opportunity to read this anthology of edgy YA stories I couldn’t say no. There are a few authors involved that I was already familiar with but most of the names were new to me. There is certainly a range of stories, though with very few exceptions the protagonists are female and most of the stories deal with heterosexual relationships. There are funny stories, sweet and touching stories and stories with a cautionary tale.

The one thing that you always have to remember with any anthology is that you are unlikely to love every story and I have to say that was definitely the case with this book. There were some stories that I just felt I didn’t get and I ended up feeling a bit confused when I got to the end of them. There were also a few that were very good stories but I didn’t particularly enjoy them, for example Sherry Shahan’s “Iris and Jim”.

There were plenty of stories I liked and some that I downright loved, special mentions must go (in no order but the one they’re printed in) to “Never Have I Ever” by Courtney Gillette, “Abstinence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder” by Jennifer Knight, “Cool Cats and Melted Kisses” by Luisa Plaja and “Team Men” by Emma Donoghue. These four were my absolute favourites, but they’re all so different that I couldn’t possibly pick one overall favourite.

I enjoyed reading this anthology but for me there was probably a fairly even split between the stories that I enjoyed and the ones I didn’t care so much for. I think that the range of stories included in the book means that pretty much anybody will find stories to love, and I’m sure many readers will read and reread this book time and again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth and Dare.