Rll520a_gaylehassan's Reviews > Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow

Hitler Youth by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

May 23, 11

Read from May 17 to 22, 2011

Horrifying and fascinating all at once. What this horrifying satanic man could have achieved if he had been trying to achieve good instead of evil. The kind of loyalty he inspired in so much of the German youth population was incredible to read about. Of course many of them were coerced and all of them were lied to, but he made them feel valued and empowered, which is one lesson that I took away from this book -- we should not underestimate the contributions of our country's youth, rather we should encourage them to contribute and honor their contributions.
Any account of the Holocaust is so horrific that I can barely stand to read about it, so the parts of the book that portray the treatment of the Jewish people (as well as anyone considered infirm!) were very difficult to get through. It was encouraging to read that there were some youths who had the strength of character to work against the regime. But many of them paid with their lives.
This book was very well done, bringing you into the lives of real young people who were affected by Hitler's regime. But, it is definitely for older readers. It doesn't pull any punches; it describes all that happened from the young people who gladly participated, to the atrocities that were perpetuated, to the beheadings of those who dared to work against the government.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler Youth.