Kat's Reviews > The Hollows Insider

The Hollows Insider by Kim Harrison

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read from May 22 to 31, 2012

What do you do when you've read all of the Hollows books and all of the Hollows stories published in obscure urban fantasy anthologies, and you have no clue when the next Hollows book is coming? Read this. Will it completely satisfy the Hollows craving? No... But it does provide some interesting insight into the world Kim Harrison created.

The book's setup is pretty unique from page one. This isn't just an encyclopedia of characters and locations. It's set up as a series of journal entries from blogger-turned-reporter Devin Cross, who is investigating/obsessing over Rachel and trying to destroy her reputation publicly. He's also trying to publicly connect her to Trent Kalamack. This all ties in with the novels, as Rachel is constantly complaining about the way she is portrayed in the media. Interspersed with Cross's journal entries and research are interoffice memos between Trent Kalamack, Jonathan, Quen, and notes to the editor of the Hollows Gazette. This makes the whole book actually tell its own epistolary story of some of the behind-the-scenes events from almost the whole span of the Hollows series (up through the events of Pale Demon but before the start of A Perfect Blood).

The book is in full color, and includes IS documents on different species, internal newspaper documents, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, journal articles, photographs, drawings, copies of pages from spellbooks, and a host of other things I'm forgetting right now. All of the photographs in the book were submitted to Harrison by fans, which is pretty neat in and of itself. The whole thing was so novel in its approach that it actually kept me turning pages and reading even the academic journal articles. There are also a few recipes in there and a more complete, coherent description of the events of the Turn than any of the books gives (in the books, it's delivered in dribs and drabs, leaving the reader never fully sure of what happened). Pretty nifty all told.

The only thing that I didn't like in the book were some of the drawings of the characters. I grant, that's more a personal taste thing from moment one, so it's really a minor gripe for me to say I don't think the picture of Kisten looks anything like how I pictured him... Anyway, it's well worth a read for any Hollows fan. I don't know that a non-Hollows fan would completely "get" all of the references to the books and events therein, but the reference documents may help to keep track of different species, etc. within the books. This is definitely more a book for people who've read the whole series and will pick up on the inside jokes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollows Insider.

05/31/2012 page 175