Esperanza's Reviews > Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore

Theodora by Stella Duffy

Jun 21, 2011

liked it
Read from June 02 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

Here we have the story of Theodora from Constantinople. A girl who early in life had to grow up fast in the ancient world. At a very young age, she is forced into acting to help support her family, from then on what little choices she had, were not really better choices. When the opportunity presents itself for her to move on to do other things, that is when she realizes that despite everything, nothing changes. Not until towards the end when she has realized that she is someone different, that she is slowly becoming the person she wants to be, the person she has become.

When I started reading this historical novel, I was mildly intrigued with the story line. The life of a young girl who is forced to work at the age of five due to familial circumstances. She, along with her two other sisters, have to begin working to help support the family. Although it felt more like an autobiography, there were a lot of parts that were glossed over. I know that it is impossible to write about everything, but still there should have been a little more leeway when writing certain parts. Also maybe it doesn't matter to anyone else but me, but I thought it was weird that there were no dates in the book. If you know some history or looked it up, you would be able to know it was in the 6th century, other than that it doesn't give you a good definition of when all this is happening.

Despite all this, I enjoyed reading this book. It took me back to a time when things were different and women were considered not much more than property. It was satisfying to know that someone with a dark and somewhat shameful past was able to rise above it all and become Empress of one of the greatest Empires in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodora.

06/16/2011 page 204