Robin's Reviews > Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Mar 08, 08

bookshelves: teen-ya
Recommended for: teenagers or children finding their way in this world
Read in March, 2008

Stargirl is a story of Susan (aka Stargirl) who has been homeschooled for the majority of her life. She makes her way into Mica High and is not deemed normal by other kids. She arrives at school in costume-like outfits, plays her ukulele for students celebrating a birthday, takes her pet rat Cinnamon everywhere. The student body doesn't quite know what to make of her. For one student, Leo Borlock, Stargirl is mesmerizing and intriguing. Eventually the student body embraces her individuality and she joins the cheerleading squad. What makes some students mad is that she cheers for the opposing team whenever they score a point. During one game, a player from the opposing team is injured. Stargirl races onto the court and helps ease the player's pain. The crowd of Mica High is stunned and feels anger by her act of kindness. Things begin to change for Stargirl as she returns to school as the entire student body is against her except for Leo.

This story is about embracing differences of others and how society sadly frowns upon individuality. What Leo learns about Stargirl is her attention and care to the average person. She reads the community section and fillers of the local paper. She anonymously sends presents, pictures, birthday cards, on the doorsteps of people she doesn't even know on a personal basis. Just a random act of kindness. To sum up Stargirl, she doesn't worry too much about herself, she puts others first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargirl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise I was going to let a few of my 3rd grade girls read this for a guided reading project but when I noticed that boys were saying that the girls had "formed a body" and that there was making out in the first chapter I decided against it. My kids aren't that mature yet. They are just noticing that I have more than one gender in the class.

Robin I would say it's more appropriate for 6th or 7th graders, maybe even 5th. There isn't anything really bad in it but still. It's weird how they seem to market that book to kids at a young age when it's really appropriate for upper-middle schoolers since the story takes place at high school.

Rachel Brand Are you sure they were talking about this book? There is no making-out in the first chapter - in fact, the first chapter is all about Leo's childhood birthday and how he receieved a tie with a porcupine on it. There isn't anything remotely linked to making-out mentioned in the entire novel. I think the most romantic thing that happens is Stargirl kissing Leo on the cheek. It's very innocent.

What do you mean by "formed a body"?

I would say that this book is suitable for nine and ten year olds and above, purely because of the way it is written.

Andrea I'm curious about how this review shows what you think about this book.

I have read this book and agree: there is no making out in the first chapter!
Upper middle schoolers!?! This book is fine for upper elementary school kids. Maybe not third graders, but mature fourth graders and fifth graders can handle it.

Robin a) My review just summarizes the book. I personally thought it was okay. I didn't love it or really dislike it.
b) I think my friend was misinformed and we've established things now.
c) I stated that this book is appropriate for 5th graders, and yes perhaps mature 4th graders but I wouldn't picture 3rd graders reading this book.

Andrea Thank you! :)