Yvonne's Reviews > Blind Fall

Blind Fall by Christopher  Rice

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: library-book, mystery-thriller
Read from May 30 to June 11, 2012

Just as in the other Christopher Rice book I read, The Moonlit Earth this one tries to walk the line between being a suspense thriller & being a human interest psychological drama. The end result is the book comes across as somewhat clunky.

The first part of the book shows our marine, John Houck in Iraq whose life is saved by his captain. Later on, John seeks him out to find him only to find a horrific murder scene & the revelation that his captain had a secret life with Alex Martin. Think DADT. The killer is revealed early on.

The book then abruptly downshifts & slows down so we're now focused on John & Alex as they each deal with their past issues including their different views on Captain Mike Mowers. At least that's what the author's going for not always successfully as we get into a kind of Karate kid situation with Marine John taking on Alex as his pupil.

After that things go out of control again & the novel picks up speed & becomes a kind of over the top melodrama with oodles of coincidences.

All that being said, there's still something about the writing that I like & it did keep me interested. I'll be trying out some more of Rice's writings past & future. He seems like a writer on the verge of writing that great novel & just needs to find that focus to make it happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Fall.

06/08/2012 page 92