Yvette's Reviews > Kill the Dead

Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey

May 30, 11

Read from May 23 to 30, 2011

As much as I'd like to dislike Kadrey's writing as much as I dislike his photography, it still on some basic level works for me. Maybe it's the smarta** attitude that fits so well with the Urban Fantasy genre. Or maybe it's the fact that - thank God! - this isn't a book about a sword-wielding woman but rather a series about a tired, grumpy guy who's been torn to shit and knows it, but still doesn't give up.

Hint hint folks - if you don't think the recent rash of Urban Fantasy along these lines - (well, maybe not with Vampires and Zombies mind you, although the mortgage brokers do bear a striking resemblance at times ....) but seriously, think books like The Road for example, if you don't think those books are being written because deep inside our own brain we don't already foresee that the shit-storm is coming and that the days of cheap burgers and beer are over, think again.

In the end, it is guys like Sandman Slim who will survive. Though they certainly won't be angelic.

Note: I still don't get it though. Why in the first novel SS drank blood and was allergic to light and now here, he's all angel-view-vision is beyond me. All I can think is that crazy f**ker Kadrey just wants to play God with his characters and screw with our minds.

Heh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Dead.

05/23/2011 page 65