Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

May 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, what-does-she-see-in-him, zombies-zombies-everywhere, reviewed-in-2011
Read on May 23, 2011 , read count: 1

This was a big surprise, though not entirely a pleasant one.

Try imagining the most disgusting relationship in the history of mankind. Are you done yet? Need some help?

(view spoiler)

Now multiply that feeling of disgust by ten. Or even better, by a hundred. Oookay. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling pretty nauseous here.

If you’ve got it, try thinking of a way to make that feeling and that relationship adorable. You heard me! Adorable. I thought it was impossible too, but I was very wrong. Isaac Marion actually did it.

R is a zombie. He and many others of his kind live in an old airport. A small group goes out regularly to hunt the Living. None of them remember anything from their previous lives, not even their own names. They aren't supposed to have feelings and they don’t speak. Some of them are pretty intelligent and observant, they just can't articulate thoughts into words.
Here’s how our R describes them:

Eating is not a pleasant business. I chew off a man’s arm, and I hate it. I hate his screams because I don’t like pain, I don’t like hurting people, but it’s the world now. This is what we do. Of course if I don’t eat all of him, if I spare his brain, he’ll rise up and follow me back to the airport, and that might make me feel better. I’ll introduce him to everyone, and maybe we’ll stand around and groan for a while. It’s hard to say what friends are any more, but that might be close.

I don’t know why we don’t speak. I can’t explain the suffocating silence that hangs over our world, cutting us from each other like prison-visit Plexiglas. Prepositions are painful, articles are arduous, adjectives are wild overachievements. Is this muteness a real physical handicap? One of the many symptoms of being Dead? Or do we just have nothing left to say?

A love story from a zombie’s POV really isn’t for everybody. Marion’s prose is beautiful and breathtaking at times, but he describes his world in gory details. It’s often bloody, smelly and disgusting. But, as it turns out, it’s also very sweet, gentle and simply adorable.

Through the memories of a guy whose brain he ate, R falls in love with a Living girl named Julie. He soon saves Julie from other zombies and hides her in an airplane to keep her safe. Step by step, Julie helps him remember what it was like to be alive.

If you think you can handle zombies carrying pieces of brain in their pockets and other zombies trying to have sex but not quite succeeding, you should really read this book. You won’t be sorry.

Favorite quote:
She smiles. Her eyes are classic novels and poetry.
49 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

ROTFL @ your spoiler!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Lol, if you think of anything more disgusting, please let me know so I can include that, too. :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No, Maja, I think you pretty much covered that one. (I'm still laughing!)

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana other zombies trying to have sex but not quite succeeding Why wouldn't they succeed? Vital parts rotten off?;)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Pretty much. They aren't really enthusiastic about it either. They just sort of dry hump each other, LOL.

message 6: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Hahaha, gross. I still don't get it, though--how can they be intelligent and observant with no feelings? Wait, are you telling me that all the zombies are like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory?

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Ok, I have another one. Is this R is rotten too? How does that love story with Julie end?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Sheldon at various stages of decomposition! :D

They aren't supposed to have feelings - the old ones, Boneys, don't, but R falls in love and it turns out there are others just like him. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Tatiana wrote: "Ok, I have another one. Is this R is rotten too? How does that love story with Julie end?"

Lol, he is, even though he's in better shape than most. Julie helps him revert the process... sort of. But she doesn't really mind. Flann is right, it's all pretty gross. :D

message 10: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana We are all over dead guys (Eric anyone?), so rotten guys is just the next logical step:)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hahaha, I guess you're right.

I think I'll be skipping dinner tonight. :)

message 12: by jo (last edited May 23, 2011 11:00AM) (new)

jo mo Right. The trend seems to be valid for films & TV Shows as well.

Medieval (LOTR, Game of Thrones)
Superheroes/Mutants (Spiderman, Batman, X-Men, Heroes, Dark Angel)
Some other Comic book adaptions (300, Watchmen, Constantine, Sin City)
Angels
Vampires (Twilight, Daybreakers)
Dystopia (Hunger Games, Resident Evil)

Wendy Darling Well, look--you did write a review! And I had even "liked" it already! Okay, I'm definitely reading this, then.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I really liked the writing, but even I wouldn't go around hugging zombies. :D

Wendy Darling Then there's no hope for them on this good earth.

message 16: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo It was just the other day that I was wondering when necrophilia was going to worm it's way into YA fiction.
Your spoiler alone just made me add this to my 'to-read' list. Pahahaa.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You were right, Jo. It has finally happened. At least the author didn't ignore the smell issue. They used lots and lots of perfume, LOL. It was really gross, but kind of endearing, too.

message 18: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Does it mention what kind of perfume works? If zombies ever do actually start shuffling on this mortal coil, that information may prove very useful.

'smell issue'
*shudder* Ack!
So can't wait to read this!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Haha, I don't think they actually mentioned one, but I'm pretty sure
[image error] would work just fine. :D

message 20: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Your spoiler is no longer working. I fell like I'm missing the party :-(

Ceecee I actually don't like gory books/movies, but I think it wasn't that bad in this book.haha

I think the book was amazing, and, yes, the spoiler isn't showing for me either. ;p

Kevin think about it, it would only have been disgusting if before r turns human again that he did anything with Julie, I mean what creates the exception in the concept of twilight, Edward is still dead, idk about you but cold and lifeless skin isn't any better then rotting flesh but at least when r changes it creates the exception and then people are whatever about.