Joy's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

May 28, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: published-2011, read-in-2011
Read from May 22 to 27, 2011

OK, maybe I'm just the wrong generation for this novel. I'm obviously missing a lot because so many other readers have loved it. Maybe if I had been a punk rocker, or if I knew (or cared) anything about the music business, my reaction would be different. But a lot of the book just really made very little sense to me. I couldn't even really tell if parts of it were supposed to be about some sort of alternate reality that I just hadn't picked up on.

Also, there really weren't any characters I could identify or sympathize with. Yes, I understand that we all have our flaws, and in the real world no one's perfect. But here I felt it was almost as if Egan made a special effort to people the book with unappealing personalities. Even the children are off-putting.

Even so, I would have given the book a two and a half star rating if I could, because I do think some of the writing is lovely. And parts of it were actually pretty enjoyable. The idea of constructing a novel from a series of linked stories is an interesting one, but not easy to pull off. And in this case, I just don't think it works.

05/23/2011 page 96