Melissa's Reviews > Hotel World

Hotel World by Ali Smith

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: 2011, own-book, paperback, second-hand, lgbt, 2012, literary-fiction
Read from May 23, 2011 to January 03, 2012, read count: 1

I think Hotel World would do best as a one-sitting book. At just shy of 240 pages, it's certainly short enough, but it's also one that demands a lot of attention. I gave it a few solid hours back in May, then set it aside and just never got around to picking it up again until today. I definitely enjoyed it - I'd call it a 7/10 book - but if it hadn't been for the long gap, it might have been an 8/10.

It's broken into five sections, each focusing on a different woman whose life in some way intersects with a horrible accident at a Global Hotel. One such section consists of thirty pages of unpunctuated stream of consciousness. It's definitely an experimental novel, and a few times towards the end I found myself flicking ahead to see how much there was left to plough through. That's probably more to do with my own attention span than the writing, which is often beautiful. Challenging in places, but lovely.

I liked this just a shade less than The First Person and Other Stories, the only other Ali Smith I've read, but I'll definitely read her again. I'll just have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel World.