Phoebe's Reviews > East

May 23, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, neo-fairy-tale
Read on May 23, 2011

I definitely had Ice in mind when I picked this up, and so I have to say...this book on its own gets a three star rating, but when compared to Ice? Just a sad old one star, a little pat on the back for the birthing position idea that is surely borrowed from the Chinese star-reading practice of Fengshui. One thing that bugged me to no end is how lacking Nyamh is in the department of resilience, resourceful and tenacity. Everything just went her way, she never had to work for it. The romance was abrupt and seemed unfounded, which made it hard for me to sympathise whereas the emotions in Ice were raw and compelling, not all that easy to relate or memorable. Plus, I find it hard to forgive her when she wrote such a forgettable prince that had no depth, no history, no emotional output, no connection with the heroine whatsoever. Clearly the fairytale might have limited the development somehow, but Ice strongly testifies against that kind of neglect of emotions in a fairytale re-telling. Very disappointed. One thing I have to give her credit of, however, is how she weaved all the different voices together.

Moving on...my next 'East of the Sun, West of the Moon' re-telling.

:D
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.