Suna's Reviews > Emma

Sep 10, 2014

bookshelves: classics, jane-austen
Read from May 23 to 25, 2011

16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

05/23/2011 page 24
05/25/2011 page 287
78.0% "Please make it stop!!! She's doing too good a job of making everyone a completely insipid, vapid nitwit, I can't stand these people!" 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Great review Suna - I havent read this (only P+P and S+S by JA so far...) dare I venture further? I think I will, mainly due to the mastery of Ms Austen as you so rightly pointed out. I saw the recent BBC series of Emma and she was nauseating in that too.

She hits the social satire thing on the head and her command of language cannot really be bettered. Can't wait to see your other reviews soon and wonder if there could be Persuasion to proceed to Northanger Abbey or have you had enough?

Suna wonder if there could be Persuasion to proceed to Northanger Abbey

Hahahahahaha, no not at all!

I will be reading both,followed by Lady Susan and then I'll be re-reading Mansfield Park just for the sake of completion.

Austen bender is a go!

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Vinogradus Sounds like you're on an Austen Power Trip.

Suna I also watched Ang Lee's version of Sense & Sensibility this weekend and, putting it up against the novel, was bowled over with admiration for Emma Thompson's condensed script adaption.
It's sublime.

Suna I KNOW!!!!!!

^^

message 6: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Ah yes, Ang Lee's movie of S+S is truly awe inspiring. I have watched that a few times and it gets better every time. Good one for a duvet day when its pissing down outside.
You must read this:

Suna Elizabeth, I have the same reaction to Emma as I did to Mrs. Bennet and the Miss Steeles: They are too like certain people I've met!!

Angie: Duvet Day! Great phrase.

Skylar Burris Oh, I don't know. Were Jane Austen living today, she might appreciate that Clueless is one of the best modern movie satires.

message 9: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Think I will have to go on that bender too Suna! I still remember my mother re-reading all JA's work while I was a very small child and asking her why she was laughing so much. It's pretty timeless stuff and people like the Steeles do strangely exist in modern day guises!

I recently read a wonderful little short story when JA ends up in a ghostly courtroom being cross examined by Mrs Bennet, Lady Catherine de Burgh and others about her unfavourable portrayal of ladies of a certain age! It was hilarious! It was in the short story collection 'Dancing With Mr Darcy' which I must do a review of soon.

Diving back under the duvet now...I wish!

message 10: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna Skylar; maybe you're right! With all her sharp insight in social morés she might have appreciated her story having been updated to fit modern teenagedom.

Angie, I've been steering clear of JA adaptations but I didn't realize Dancing With Mr. Darcy was an anthology.
Tempted now.

So far, Pride and Prejudice cracked me up, out loud, the most.
Sense and Sensibility has truly hilarious moments but more than a dash of melancholy, too, making the tone a bit more subdued in places.

message 11: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna That's exactly how I experienced it, too...

message 12: by Dena (new)

Dena Good review. Can you imagine what Jane Austin felt having to live in a small village with people like that. Her only way to vent was to write novels about them.

message 13: by Msmurphybylaw (new)

Msmurphybylaw Fabulous review, Suna. Your words express my experience precisely. I haven't had an Austen marathon in so many years and Angie's Duvet Day sounds sublime.
When the heat really kicks in this summer here in Texas, I think I'll treat myself.

message 14: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna Dena: Yes, I truly can and I'm ever so glad she vented the way she did, or we wouldn't be reading these delightful books...!

Msmurphy: Thanks! But ... A duvet day in the heat? You'll need lots of ice cream, too!

message 15: by Msmurphybylaw (new)

Msmurphybylaw Yes! Popsicles and air conditioning. I close all the blinds and imagine it's winter.

message 16: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Msmurphy, you could get right into that with a garden hose for rain effects, get that weather-beaten feeling before reading, so many of JA's heroines do get drenched somewhere down the line, usually to great dramatic climactic effect of course (I am thinking here of Elizabeth Bennet's flushed complexion after her muddy walk across the park, or of Marianne Dashwood's sprained ankle in the storm being rescued by Willoughby in the nick of time).

You just need a bit of imagination to recreate the crappy UK weather (and a very thin duvet, ha)...

message 17: by Msmurphybylaw (new)

Msmurphybylaw Ha! I love it. I could easily muck up my flat's little garden with a hose. We are in a terrible drought and there is little chance of rain for the next few months.
Thanks for the tip, and I will probably be yanking the down comforter out of the duvet or pulling it off the bed altogether and calling it an Egyptian cotton sheet day. Just doesn't have the same ring to it though...

message 18: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Ha, no. For once I am gloating about the 'wonderful' British weather (didnt see that happening in my lifetime until now!)

Cotton without the goosepimples is good enough I would say..!

message 19: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna Ladies, ladies! All this wrapping in sheets and talking of hoses. Most unbecoming and insinuating of improper sensualities.
I daresay you are in need of a large basin of gruel to calm your overstimulated nerves.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I did not like Emma (the person), at all. If you've read Mansfield Park: I did not like Edward Bertram or Fanny Price, either! :P

I do love Captain Wentworth, and Henry Tilney.

message 21: by Suna (last edited May 31, 2011 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna I've only ever seen a BBC adaptation of Persuasion and have yet to read Northanger Abbey , so I will have to hold out on a verdict for those two gentlemen.

Mansfield Park I would have to re-read; I remember liking it a great deal, especially the preposterous thespian disaster and the whole slavery plot thread.
I think I found Edward more annoying than Fanny, though.

message 22: by Msmurphybylaw (new)

Msmurphybylaw Bring on the gruel then. I may start to feel like a Dickens' character.

I must admit that I too am in the majority and don't find Emma (the character) very like-able, or Fanny in MP. JA writes their plights so well though, that I adore the stories.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the slavery thread was in the film version of Mansfield Park, and not in the book. I just didn't get any clear anti-slavery message at any time while reading.

And, Northanger Abbey improves (for me) with each re-read. I seldom re-read MP, because I find it a chore to do so. Fanny and Edmund deserved each other....

message 24: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna Jeanette, you're right. It's been a while since I read MP but a quick skim made it obvious:

The slavery thread is in the book as well, but it wasn't foremost in Austen's mind to present a major political topic when she wrote.
It's only mentioned a few times as 'the business in Antigua' and at some point Fanny causes much awkwardness by alluding to it in a social situation and all her vapid companions are utterly disinterested in so dull a subject.

Austen seems to have mostly used it as a tool to show the primary source of the Bertrams' current wealth and the tenuous grasp they had on their fortune, and as a way to emphasize how far removed from the characters' lives and perspectives such issues are.

The 1999 film definitely took a major liberty by pushing the slavery thing to the foreground, even to the point where Fanny finds a diary or sketchbook with lewd drawings of owner/slave abuse, implying how haunted Sir Thomas is by these memories.
The whole scene is something I imagine Austen would never have been able or have chosen to write so explicitely about!

So I seem to have blended my memory of the movie with the book and it is time for a proper re-read... :>

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

That happens to me, too. I love period films, and I love re-reading Austen. So, I have to stop sometimes and think about whether a scene really was in a book, or not.

Austen was more of a people person, taking on the more ridiculous social mores and customs of her time. She tended not to attempt any major political statements. Maybe that's why she still gets classified as chick-lit, when her novels are really so much more.

message 26: by Suna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suna Jeannette wrote:Maybe that's why she still gets classified as chick-lit,

Gah! Really? That's a shame. The novels are definitely more than that.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there are still too many people who see Austen for less than she is. (Not all of them men, either.)