Tora's Reviews > 1Q84 bok 1 & 2

1Q84 bok 1 & 2 by Haruki Murakami

Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, japanese
Read from May 23 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

I finished 1Q84 - book 1 & 2 on Monday. Afterwards, I went running in the woods. I ran faster than I have in a while, and my thoughts went back and forth through my head, thinking of everything, anything and nothing at all. It then came to me, I was stuck in that world, Murakami's world. I was scared. I ran through the woods in the middle of the day, and felt scared. Figured the people I met could be anything. Like in Murakami's universe. And I thought that if I'd met a bear, I wouldn't have been all that surprised.

It took me a while to get into this book, a couple of hundred pages, actually. I was a bit disappointed at first. The simple, straight forward language didn't quite appeal to me this time. I don't think it was any different from his other books, really. I've just read the wrong authors lately. Wrong in the sense of preceding Murakami (I've been spoiled, by my number 1 favorite these days, Tomas Espedal.). And it took me a while to get to know the characters. At first sight, they weren't very Murakami like. They weren't quite the Watanabe character I always long for. But of course they were. I only discovered that after a while. The independent young man is there (as a woman, too this time!), but somehow that is not what the book is about.

The story is a strong one, the book a page turner, somewhat similar to Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (I loved that one!), only not quite so abstract. It is a heart breaking story, one of broken childhoods, loss, loneliness. It's about love, murder, hope, about strong individuals trying to live their lives their own way. It took me a while to get out of the book as well, to get it out of the system (I'm not sure I have yet). I fell in love with the characters, the universe. 1Q84 is the sad love story from Norwegian Wood and South of the Border, West of the Moon, and it is the abstract world from A Wild Sheep Chase and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. And yet, it is completely it's own.

As always, I regret finishing the last Murakami book, and envy all of you who haven't yet read it all. Next year, book 3 will be published in Norwegian, and although I do see book 1 & 2 as a complete and finished story, I look forward to it. Of course I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84 bok 1 & 2.

05/23/2011 page 21
3.0% "Og øret er introdusert!" 6 comments
05/26/2011 page 154
21.0% "Dette går veldig fort. Og jeg vet faktisk ennå ikke riktig hva jeg syns."
05/27/2011 page 263
35.0% "Og det begynner å løsne.."
05/28/2011 page 350
47.0% "Jeg er helt sikker på at Murakami har lest "Menn som hater kvinner" før han skrev denne boka. Det er for mange paralleller til at det kan være tilfeldig. Jeg er fengslet av historien, men gripes ikke på samme måte av menneskene og universet hans denne gangen. I hvert fall ikke ennå."
05/29/2011 page 553
74.0% "Jeg er sugd inn i fortellingen. Språket føles fremdeles ganske ordinært, men jeg er sugd inn i universet, og kommer til å bli der til det er over."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marie The only reason I read this book is because one of the two translators (into English) is the son of a cousin and I'd never read anything he'd done. Now I have. Wow. I was blown away. Not my usual kind of reading. I read it when it came out. A year ago? It hasn't left my head. Somehow haunts me still. Magical, mysterious, wonderful.