Gill's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

2208255
Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: 2011, other-times, other-places, sci-fi
Read in November, 2011

How did I forget to review this one?
At first I found it a little muddling as the time described jumped forward and backwards in a strange order. Once I understood the premise of the time travel the story drew me in, the difficulties of meeting someone who you had known as an older person, but who at the present time is unaware you have met, the ethical problems it raises about what one should or should not reveal about the future, the heartbreak being 'different' can bring in its wake.
The characters of two or three central people in the plot are subtly rounded out within the confines of a changing world and a broken timeline, and there was some real pathos and tragedy which I felt because of the skill of the author. There are parts of this book that communicate very directly with the reader and the experience of growing older, being undecided about the best course of action, understanding whether to be open and honest or to hide facts so as not to hurt the other person.
I would definitely read more by this author and may well reread this book again in the future.

2013 Just came across this animation of this on You-tube at