Ginia's Reviews > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

May 25, 11

bookshelves: audio, non-fiction, read-in-2011, for-bookclub
Read from May 22 to 24, 2011

I didn't want to read this book. So I got the audiobook and Cassandra Campbell and Bahni Turpin read it to me. The only reason I got it was because it's next month's book club choice.

It was read well and covered a plethora of issues surrounding Henrietta Lacks, her past, her cancer, the lives of her children, and mainly her cells. HELA.

Althought the medical and legal avenues into HELA were explained in detail, I was bored with it. What interested me the most was Henrietta's children and their lives. I was hoping some good things would come to them because of HELA, but I was disappointed. They struggled. And still do. But there is a future for Henrietta's grandchildren.

I felt the investigation into Henrietta's oldest daughter's life was the most tragic. And I can only assume that it had to do with racial issues back then. She was poor, she was sick, and ultimately a guinea pig for medical research studies.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to tissue research. I want studies to continue to advance medical science. And, I also want patients 'to get a cut'. And the debate goes on.

4 Stars for Rebecca's dedication to her subject. But, for the subject, it wasn't a favorite.

1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.