Tami's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

May 22, 2011

Read in May, 2011

One of my biggest pet peeves in reading is when the author makes reference to the readers, thereby breaking the illusion of the story. Some otherwise good authors have done this, causing me to greatly dislike them, to the point that I've had difficulty reading anything else by those authors- Stephen King comes immediately to mind, as does Gaston LeRouux.

However, Lemony Snicket used this same trick to great advantage in his Series of Unfortunate Events, and now Brandon Sanderson has once again presented a series where the story refers to the readers and it actually adds to the story.

Like Snicket, Sanderson tries to convince us that the story is not a good one, and that perhaps we should read something else.

The hero of this story, Alcatraz Smedry, turns 13 on the day the story starts, and has just received a package in the mail. The package contains a bag of sand, and is wrapped in plain brown paper with what appears to be scribbles written along one side of it. Al, being a bit of a klutz, promptly goes into the kitchen of his foster home and accidentally sets it on fire, which leads to his foster mother wanting to send him on to another foster home. This sets up the adventure that Al finds himself on for the rest of the story.

I enjoyed reading this book- it was funny and cute and filled with action and adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.