Bea's Reviews > A Friend of the Family

A Friend of the Family by Lauren Grodstein

F_50x66
Jun 02, 11

Read from May 27 to June 01, 2011

I would probably give this a 7 1/2 out of 10. The writing was good, but the plot seemed very slow to me. A 50ish couple have a son, Alex, who is 20. Their best friends have a daughter who is 30. When she was in high school, she had a baby which she was accused of killing, but avoided going to jail and has spent the past 10 years following a hippyish style of life. Now she returns and Alex thinks he is in love with her and wants to abandon college for a life with her. This story was interesting enough to me to finish it, nothing really great, and almost painfully frustrating. However, the character of the father was very well developed. All the characters seemed very real, but he was so lifelike I could understand his anger and frustration, even though I sometimes would be thinking "He needs to stand back and think about this one a little more". This book is worth reading just to experience the very good writing. None of the characters are "too good to be true".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Friend of the Family.