Marigold's Reviews > The Recipe Club: A Tale of Food and Friendship

The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel

May 22, 11

bookshelves: food, power-of-friendship, fiction-2000s
Read in May, 2011

What makes a good trashy light-reading book, & what makes a bad trashy light-reading book? I wish I knew! I wish I could define it. This for me was a good trashy light read & I had loads of fun with Lilly & Val! They are two friends who grow up together & begin a tradition of writing one another letters & sending recipes back & forth because from a young age they both enjoy cooking. Though they are very different, their friendship endures over the course of many years. Then a betrayal & a separation occur - & it is only many years later that they may be able to find each other again.

Lilly & Val are hopelessly stereotyped & insanely dramatic. Their parents are unbelievably one-dimensional. There's a family secret that you can see coming almost from the beginning. Nevertheless, there was just something really fun about this book. It's like your favorite soap opera come to life! I also love a good epistolary novel & this one also has a few random newspaper articles & so forth scattered through it. I loved the recipes - chocolate chip cannoli! Pen Pal Pecan Rice! Currant Ginger Scones! Starry Night Scampi! It made me want to get together with some best friends, cook, & eat! It's just a lot of fun if you don't expect it to be more than it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Recipe Club.