sarafem's Reviews > Beatrice's Goat

162057
Mar 04, 08

bookshelves: five-stars, juvenile-nonfiction
Read in March, 2008

I read this book awhile ago when I worked with the Heifer Project; this book is basically promotional material for their work. The Heifer Project provides income-producing animals to impoverished people so that they may earn a living; the idea is that while they are bettering themselves, their animals are producing offspring that they in turn give to other needy members of the community. Soon there is a whole freakin' village of cows or goats or lions or tigers or bears oh my all from one that was provided by the good folks at the Heifer Project.

This book shows us one example in a young girl named Beatrice; if my memory serves correctly she is in Uganda. The Heifer Project provides her family with, well, a goat obviously, and the goat provides milk to feed the family and enough to sell as well. With the income this provides, the family is able to get a new house and Beatrice fulfills her dream of going to school.

The Heifer Project is a wonderful organization that does more hands-on work in communities than I think I have ever witnessed in a group I have been involved in. For more info go to http://www.heifer.org; you can donate just a few dollars for projects from chicks and bees to cows and llamas or a whole freakin' ark of animals, or you can just buy this book and the other Heifer book, Faith the Cow. A portion of the publisher's proceeds goes back to Heifer no matter where you buy the book, but I believe if you buy it straight from Heifer they get an even larger amount. Even if you can't spare anything, just spreading the word about this great organization is enough. They work all over the world, including in the United States.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beatrice's Goat.