Bookaholics's Reviews > The Last Time I Saw Paris

May 22, 11

The Last Time I Saw Paris by Lynn Sheene
Historical Romance – May 3rd, 2011
4 stars

Claire Harris left her rich industrialist husband and Manhattan life and fled to Paris. She wanted to start her life all over again in the fabled city with a new identity. But she ignored the fact that Europe was at war and that Hitler’s army could be coming for Paris.

Claire ended up working at La Vie en Fleurs where Madam Palain took Claire under her wing. In order to get forged identity papers, Claire had no choice but to help the Resistance by becoming an informant herself. Claire finds herself falling in love with the beautiful city of Paris, doing everything she can to help the city including putting herself in danger time after time. All this time, she finds herself drawn to Thomas Grey, an Englishman who is also part of the Resistance. When Thomas is captured by the Gestapo, Claire makes the dangerous decision to pretend to ally with the Germans. But will her farce be exposed? Can she save Thomas and herself from the Nazis?

This is a solid book that starts off a bit slow but picks up speed especially towards the end. It was so exciting that I raced towards the ending. I simply needed to know if Claire would end up with Thomas! Claire starts off as a materialistic and shallow person, but as the novel progresses, I admired her courage and resilience more and more. Especially when she uses drastic methods to gain information from the Nazis. I feel like this book is more about Claire’s journey since it feels like Thomas is more of a supporting character. Even though he is the hero, the author doesn’t focus a lot on Thomas to the point where you understand and really know him. He functions as a kind of goal and motivation for Claire.

More of a historical drama than a romance novel, this is a gripping novel that provides a lot of insight into life in Paris under the Nazi occupation. Tender and, at times, bittersweet, this is a worthy read for fans who loves the WWII theme.

Reviewed by Pauline from the Bookaholics Romance Club
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time I Saw Paris.