Meljean Brook's Reviews > The Shameless Playboy

The Shameless Playboy by Caitlin Crews

May 22, 2011

Read in May, 2011

Agh, I just lost the stuff I wrote about this. Basically: one of my favorite kinds of heroes, fun and outrageous, but not shallow -- so the romance works. Some fantastic lines between the hero/heroine -- and I also appreciated the resolution, which didn't pretend that everything was just magically perfect, but set up in such a way that the HEA was absolutely believable. Oh! and also that the heroine's arc also had a resolution that felt empowering, when she takes charge of her future instead of letting it be dictated by outside perception. [SPOILERISH?] Considering the way elements of sexual shame are often treated, it was really nice to see a heroine essentially say "screw you all for judging me."

With just a few books, Crews has become one of my favorite HP/M&B authors -- and, like today, a fantastic break when I'm feeling absolutely brain dead and can't write another word. Sometimes I call HPs my guilty pleasures, especially if the angst is over the top or the heroes are total assholes. This one, no guilt at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shameless Playboy.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Shaffer Cool! I'm looking forward to reviewing it next month for RT Book Reviews.