Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > Everdark

Everdark by Elle Jasper

May 31, 11

Read from May 22 to 28, 2011

Everdark picks up again right after the ending of Afterlight. Riley has been bitten by not one but two vampires with the strongest bloodline ever known. She awakens at a detox camp where she has been for several weeks going through withdrawals like a drug addiction. Riley now has special abilities. She can run faster, jump from building tops, fight just as good as a vampire and will live for a very long time. Along with Eli and his family she now hunts rogue vampires. Her brother Seth also now has some enhancements after nearly escaping becoming a vampire in Afterlight.

While Riley is recovering from her attack she starts getting debilitating visions of horrific killings. Victorian has also become obsessed with her and has started visiting in her head again. Though not nearly in the manner as in Afterlight. Much more talking and less dirty fun. His progression from evil vamp to misunderstood and obsessive was a intriguing plot twist. He’s still creepy in his own right, in a stalkerish way, but not nearly as evil as before. Instead his brother Valerian’s soul reincarnated into another vampire is the true villain. Eli, being the overprotective one instantly becomes enraged on the encroachment of what he views is his territory. He sets out to find the person responsible for the killings as well as Victorian for daring to touch his woman…physically or mentally. I love Eli. I love his protectiveness just about as much as Riley hates it. I would get tired of him reading my mind so much though. A girl does need her privacy from time to time and it seems like such a infringement of privacy to be sharing thoughts not only with her extremely hot boyfriend, but also his entire family. The sex was still as hot as in Afterlight and I reveled in it. I wanted it to never end. Eli’s fathomless eyes are just so damn sexy.

Everdark still had tons of descriptive writing but I found that this one was much easier to read. Maybe because I was used to the style of Elle’s writing…or maybe because this book had more action and all the other stuff didn’t bother me as much this time around. I still heard about every single outfit Riley put on and every time the dog needed walked or fed, but for each of those instances there was a pulse pounding steamy scene or action packed scene to help further the plot. Oh..and between the two books I now know every song Riley has ever heard in a club or has on her ipod play list. Those types of things date a book really badly and they grate on my nerves a bit. However they do fit her personality so I am willing to overlook it…mostly.

I did have one huge pet peeve in the book. Several times Elle refers to the Dupres French heritage and one of the characters says “sack ray blue”. Now maybe because Riley isn’t French and so to her that’s what it sounds like but its “sacreblue” And I don’t think I have EVER heard a true French person ever say it. In fact I went and looked it up online and several sites claim it’s like saying all French people wear berets. Leaving it as saying “sack ray blue” just sounds weird and irked me A LOT.

The ending to Everdark is a true cliff hanger and now I have to wait till next year for Eventide to come out. *Hear me wailing* Why why does it have to be a year…WHYYYYYYYY. I want more Eli!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everdark.

05/26/2011 page 100
30.0% "Im very into this. Wish I had more time to read lol"
05/28/2011 page 135
40.0% "Ok..its not Sack Ray Blue...its Sacrebleu...and I dont know if Ive ever heard a real French person actually say it..ever.." 3 comments
05/28/2011 page 202
60.0% "Yeah, I hate when my period gets in the way of kicking vampire ass too...that blows."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jasmin I hate cliffhanger endings. I hope Eli and Riley don't break up. Now I'm going to run and buy this book. Thank You, for a great review.

Maria read some parts of the review and some others i skipped because i dont want to get spoiled that much.. i cant wait to read it!

smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks) "Sack ray blue"-OMG I spit my coffee out. I had the same problem.