Greg's Reviews > Another Glorious Day at the Nothing Factory

Another Glorious Day at the Nothing Factory by Eroyn Franklin

May 26, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read on May 22, 2011

My heart is a vast landscape of emptiness that makes this body more than meat, but not much more. I am a nothing factory--churning out record-breaking amounts of nil. I keep doing whatever it is I do out of habit, not relevance. Even the lives of cherts and schists and clays seem futile but they are substantial compared to my loves my, my losses, my doodles, my jobs, my drunken nights and afternoon mornings. I daydream of justification for it all, finding only porous excuses. I would rather not end things. I just wish it never began--that my existence never came to fruition.

A novel? A novella? A graphic novel? Fiction? Memoir?

The right hand page of each page is a white silhouette against a black page. The left hand side of the page is some text, the story of a marriage that disintegrated. This Postal Service song kept running through my head, and that song led me to also make an inner soundtrack with a "The District Sleeps Tonight" and "Suddenly Everything has Changed", which are are probably more fitting songs for this depressing story.

I don't know if this is a fiction or not. It feels very personal, like your reading in someone's private sketchbook where they are trying to make sense of why they fucked everything up good and proper in their life once again. Depressing and beautiful in the some of the best ways that fucked up lives can produce.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Glorious Day at the Nothing Factory.