Rayne's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, post-apocalyptic, zombies, love-triangle, there-s-romance-in-there-somewhere, kickass-heroine, action
Read from June 05 to 07, 2011

I had already reviewed this one. It was a pretty glowing review that I wrote the minute I finished it over a year ago. But after giving this book some thought, not only did I have to take two stars off my rating, but I also felt the need to delete that review and only come back once I could put into words what this book really meant to me.

Well, Enclave is engaging, even if ridiculously short. It is nicely written, with great and detailed action sequences, interesting characters and an intrigue premise. I breezed through Enclave and found myself delighted by the world Aguirre constructed and desperate to know more about it. At a first glance, there's really nothing wrong with this book. I didn't give it 5 stars at first because of its length and because of the inclusion of Stalker as a love interest, which I thought disgusting. But now that I've thought about it, there are many other wrong things with this book than just that.

First of all, the plot holes. There's many of them and some are impossible to overlook, like the whole business with underground people having no problem with the sun because of simply a pair of sunglasses. That just shows bad research. Secondly, there was the characterization and the climax that didn't felt like a climax at all and the convenient resolution. And then there's was the subtopic of rape. That is simply the worst thing about this book. Not only do we have this unapologetic guy, one who has allowed his followers to rape and abuse and batter and assault every female they find regardless of their age, presented to us as a love interest clean simply because he only allowed it but did not engage in it, calling "dove" the protagonist, who up until then had been pretty kickass, but we also have that formerly-kickass protagonist judging the raped girl that accompanied them in their journey for not wanting to have anything to do with the guy and for not defending herself properly while getting savagely raped by a bunch of feral guys. There's just something very, very wrong with all of this and that, while at first I barely noticed it, now I feel too disgusted to have any desire left to read the rest of this series. For the moment, I am done with this series. I have no intention of seeing Deuce fall into the required YA love triangle with one of the most hateful, disgusting and horrible male characters I've ever read in YA, although they might just deserve each other because Deuce proved to be as detestable during the last few chapters of Enclave. So, at least for now, I am done with this series. Plus, the author was rude to a friend of mine, which doesn't earn her any points with me either.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.

06/06/2011 page 112