Happyreader's Reviews > The Best Make-Ahead Recipe

The Best Make-Ahead Recipe by America's Test Kitchen

Mar 04, 08

bookshelves: food-and-drink
Read in July, 2007

I wanted to like this cookbook more. I had originally gotten it out of the library because I was looking for a make-ahead casserole for a brunch. And I did find one - the 24 hour omelet, which was good. But that's the problem with the book -- the recipes are only good. With a Cook's Illustrated book, you're expecting better-tasting food and it just delivers food that is OK but with the added pomp of a lot of experimental, how-to text.

Reminds me of a Thanksgiving Chicago NPR interview where the commentator made four pumpkin pies - a fancy pie (Bon Appetit), a smarty pie (Cooks Illustrated), a healthy pie (recipe off the organic pumpkin label), and a quicky pie (recipe off the puree can?). Everyone hated the smarty pie!!! And loved the fancy pie. Bon Appetit has excellent recipes.

Anyways, I've gone back to the cookbook a couple of times, once to search for good make-ahead appetizers and another time for make-ahead dinner party entrees and the recipes just weren't right. I could always find something better in another cookbook or cooking magazine. Lots of stews, slow cooker recipes, etc but nothing better than could be found in a slow cooker or stew cookbook. Let me know if anyone has a good make-ahead cookbook with interesting recipes suitable for entertaining because this isn't it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Make-Ahead Recipe.